Moderators: YAK_Chewie, Yakface.com Staff

By XDarthSinisterX
Hi all. I'm posting some photos of my EVII contest entry. He was a lot of fun to make, but a little rushed. I created him in about a week. You can find a short back story on him in the contest thread. Hope everyone likes him...

BORGA THE HUTT

Here is a look at how he was made....

Figure in it's original state.

Disassembled Jabba figure. I cut away the back of the head from the tail's motion wheel.

Screws to re-enforce a FixIt "dome base".

Checking the fit of the FixIt "dome base" prior to curing.

Ball socket insert for FixIt "dome base".

Ball socket insert installed in the "dome base". Because the original figure had limited torso turning this application allows the figure to be fully turned to the side or "laying position" and still retain the tail movement.

Lacquer system Model Masters primer.

Head sculpting in Sculpey Firm for fine detail. I would not normally finish this head with paint. I would mold it and cast it in one peice for strength, but because this was done in one weeks time I'll wait to cast it and finish it instead.

Some of the tail sculpting started using FixIt Sculpt.

Original peg was cut off of the arm. Holes were drilled and ball joints were installed using FixIt as glue.

Arms now pop on and off with ease and have more pose ability than the original swivel peg.

Ball joints were all purchased from The Big Bad Toy Store. I believe they were advertised on the front page here at YAKFace.

Vallejo acrylic Model Colors used for the paint apps, final spray with Testors "Dull Coat" and a drop of Crystal Clear casting epoxy was put in each eye to give a "wet look".

That's it in a 'nut shell'.

Thanks for all of your nice comments on the contest thread.
Last edited by XDarthSinisterX on Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By XDarthSinisterX
YAK_Chewie wrote:Awesome... wow... more comments soon... for now, it's bed time.

:wink:

Thanks Chewie and thanks for the help logging back in.

Warsaw wrote:Such an awesome custom, I didn't realize all the work you put into that Hutt. Thanks for showing all of that process.

Thanks Warsaw. I wanted him to be a completely working figure. He was stuck in that forward position but I wanted him to be able to lay on his side as well. That's why I put in the torso joint. Also by eliminating the swivel shoulders and ball jointing them he now has full range. I was working on him pretty steady to get him in on time.
By drod26
This is an amazing custom darthnisinster.. you turned a really basic figure into a piece of art.. I really enjoyed how you document all your work in process..Borga looks like he means business people.. It is good to see you post here and imperialsyards. :D
By DanOfTheDead
This is great. I love how you put so much attention and effort into improving the articulation of the figure, even if it's not readily apparent from a photo. Also, the spikes are a great, believable variation for Hutt variations. I've seen them with different skin colors, different accessories, but this is the first real change to anatomy I've seen, and frankly I think it's excellent. It's sort of how vastly different frogs and toads can look, despite being so closely related. The concept alone is wonderful, but you executed it brilliantly as well. Nice work!
By XDarthSinisterX
drod26 wrote:This is an amazing custom darthnisinster.. you turned a really basic figure into a piece of art.. I really enjoyed how you document all your work in process..Borga looks like he means business people.. It is good to see you post here and imperialsyards. :D

Thanks again Drod. This guy now has a place on my desk.
By XDarthSinisterX
DanOfTheDead wrote:This is great. I love how you put so much attention and effort into improving the articulation of the figure, even if it's not readily apparent from a photo. Also, the spikes are a great, believable variation for Hutt variations. I've seen them with different skin colors, different accessories, but this is the first real change to anatomy I've seen, and frankly I think it's excellent. It's sort of how vastly different frogs and toads can look, despite being so closely related. The concept alone is wonderful, but you executed it brilliantly as well. Nice work!

Thanks Dan, I sure appreciate it. This is a concept I've had since I saw "Return Of The Jedi". Since the day I saw Jabba I thought he was under designed. I came up with this when I was a kid.
By XDarthSinisterX
I finished my entry for the EU contest over at the Imperial ShipYards and wanted to show you guys what I did. I have a couple of WIP pics to go with them I hope ya'll dig em'!

Bounty Hunter SNOOVA

First up is a photo of my armor making process. Here you can see the original Fix-It Sculpt piece over the foil covered clay mannequin. It's grey in color because of the primer it's been sprayed with. Next on a clay base in an uncompleted LEGO mold frame. Next is the mold with the original still on it and a few castings in black laying around. Last is just a visual on how flexible the plastic is after curing.

This is the completed figure before assembly.

And the completed figure featuring all the accessories and different poses.

Here is a comparison with the Hasbeen offering...

Now to get back to my Space Pirates!
By XDarthSinisterX
Did someone say Space Pirates?

I've finished the heads for two of my WIPs. They're done in Sculpey and will be molded and cast in plastic resin in a flesh color. No sculpting or painting has been done yet.

I'm sure a few of you figured out I'm finally doing some MARVEL characters. I'll be putting my own spin on them though. This is how I feel they could translate to today's audience... Sinister style.

By UKHistory
Darth Sinister,

Love your work. Glad to see you scultping in addition to your beautiful virtual customs. I like where you are taking the characters Jolli and Crimson Jack. In one of your virtual customs you used a a shot of Jeff Bridges from Iron Man as your Crimson Jack and I thought that was a bold direction to take.

Jolli has switched from a beret to an Imperial hat. Another nice touch.

And I do very much like the femal robot head you made me. I need to take a photo of it.

Really well done!
By XDarthSinisterX
UKHistory wrote:Darth Sinister,

Love your work. Glad to see you scultping in addition to your beautiful virtual customs. I like where you are taking the characters Jolli and Crimson Jack. In one of your virtual customs you used a a shot of Jeff Bridges from Iron Man as your Crimson Jack and I thought that was a bold direction to take.

Jolli has switched from a beret to an Imperial hat. Another nice touch.

And I do very much like the femal robot head you made me. I need to take a photo of it.

Really well done!

Hey man! Hows it going! I'd love to see that head on a completed figure. If you get a chance PM me a picture. It's an honor to work with so many talented folks. I really love doing this and it seems I'm getting a little more time to devote to the hobby lately.

I'm about to go work on Jack and Jolli here shortly. I really rushed through Snoova because I started late and had a contest deadline, but my Pirates will be a slower process. I want them as perfect as I can get em'.

It's really good to hear from you. Please keep in touch.

Thanks for the kind words,
Charlie
By XDarthSinisterX
Another quick update with some older stuff. These are all from an ISY contest as well, a no paint kit-bash. They were all very simple and require few alterations. My 8year old daughter helped me with these and we had a lot of fun doing them.

The idea was to fill out some background characters for my Borga the Hutt. He was in desperate need of a menagerie so we went to work and set our goal for ten thugs. This entry was titled "Scum and Villainy".

Vroota Din
(Bounty Hunter) Employed by Borga the Hutt.

Greedo head attached with U-Glu Dashes for a non-permanent alteration
Fire Fly Jacket
Mandalorian Police body
El-Les hands
VC Boba Fett Jet Pack

Diezerak
(Smuggler) Spice Runner

Wioslea head
Momaw Nadon neck dressing
Hem Dazon body
Farmboy Luke cape
Shoulder Strap Amanaman