Discussion around toys branded under "Solo: A Star Wars Story"

Moderators: YAK_Jayson, Yakface.com Staff

By reverendstrone
Agreed, which is what makes me think something major happened to screw up Hasbro's plans along the path to retail. These are the toys you release alongside a movie, not months behind. It can't have been their master plan all along. I think something occurred to delay much of the Solo range, necessitating the inclusion of lots of filler from other films in the first two or three waves. Nobody designs their movie tie-in product waves like this intentionally.
By darth_sidious
Plus with the anthology movies, they should get everything out at once, while interest is high, because its fleeting. I think they should have put all of the Solo basic figures in two waves and then used the 2-packs and the home release pack for the rest. Considering the movie wasn't a huge success, that's more incentive to dump everything immediately, because its doubtful the demand will ever be high for most Solo characters, save for Therm Scissorpunch! :P I feel the same for RO, it was a better movie, but how many people are asking for RO figures? I'm not.
By darthvlad
YAK_Chewie wrote:Personally, I'm hoping for quite a few more Rogue One and Solo figures, just not in 5poa style though.

:wink:

Agreed, but I don’t have faith we’ll get much TVC goodness if hasbro keeps putting out repack-heavy waves like they’re doing.
By darth_sidious
With so few slots in TVC, I cant imagine them ever getting to all the ST and Anthology movie characters anywhere near the basic line coverage. 5-7 POA might not be ideal for some, but the sculpts are good and character selection is way better than TVC. Likewise, once I own the basic figure, I really have no desire to see some of these characters again, unless I love the design. A great example is Enfys Nest - bought her w/ speeder, and I'll happily pick up a TVC figure. I think with so many movies, even a longtime collector like me is at the point where I am no longer looking back at some movies like RO with a desire to see more figures made. I'm still patiently waiting for a TFA General Leia though...
By darthvlad
darth_sidious wrote:With so few slots in TVC...

That’s why it’s so frustrating that they’re repacking Black Series figures that were readily available a couple/last year. I get that it helps with the budget and fans might want Rey, REN, FO Trooper on the TVC card... it makes sense. But to push them again in wave 2? That’s just stupidity. It feels like Hasbro is dipping their toe in a tried and true money maker, unsure of themselves. Perhaps they have the right to be hesitant with the hobby in a stat of flux, unsure if fans will come back to the hobby, even with the reintroduction of TVC and retailers scaling back as well as they’ve lost money on product. I’m almost getting the feeling that 6” is having the similar problems with all of the upcoming exclusives, though it seems not as bad since we know the next few waves down the line. With TVC, we know the next couple waves and there are only a few new ones on the board... and this is the line fans and collectors have been clamoring for. Hasbro just seems to be giving it a half-hearted attempt. A couple nice vehicles in the line (one that was crowdfunded).

I’d really like Hasbro to have a nice showing at SDCC and at the Disney thing. We really need to hear that we’ll be seeing some cool OT background characters will come in the line, as well as new Disney movie mains that haven’t been done. And finally give us a Dooku on card!

Anyway, I could go on, but I think you get what I’m saying.
By reverendstrone
Oh man, if they released nothing but Rogue One and Solo figures for the next year it probably wouldn't even satisfy my hunger for more figures from those films. They're rich in action figure-worthy characters. There are so many that I want but know we will never see. The sequel trilogy is far less appealing to me from a toy perspective, with perhaps exceptions like Jakku or Maz's castle.
By darthvlad
reverendstrone wrote:Oh man, if they released nothing but Rogue One and Solo figures for the next year it probably wouldn't even satisfy my hunger for more figures from those films. They're rich in action figure-worthy characters. There are so many that I want but know we will never see. The sequel trilogy is far less appealing to me from a toy perspective, with perhaps exceptions like Jakku or Maz's castle.

Design-wise, yeah, I've been let down by the sequel trilogy characters for the most part. The Anthology films have more of a Star Wars feel. And I don't think it's because the movies are based in the timeframe of the OT either and that's athe period I grew up in.
By reverendstrone
Different scenes call for different aliens. I think the aesthetic treatment of most of the aliens in the ST so far has been slightly more caricatured or comedic because of the settings in which those designs appeared. For both the Canto Bight sequence and Takodana, the various aliens were mostly single shot gags or visual jokes, so they had to read very quickly and clearly in just a fraction of a second. That tends to mean very simplistic, often heavily over-sculpted designs. There’s a certain purity of concept that comes with that, but it also means they tend to be kinda superficial and often silly, built around a single wacky feature. It’s also true of the Vandor sabacc game scene in Solo.

In Rogue One the specific brief from the director was for aliens that were a hair more realistic and dimensional, able to walk around in a scene next to humans and seem plausible rather than a goofy monster-fest. It’s to do with the tonality of the scenes which informs the designs that populate them. Comparing Jedha, or even Jakku to an extent, with Takodana or Canto Bight, you can definitely see that difference demonstrated. There’s room for both in SW, but I kinda prefer the less goofy stuff, myself.

As for more classic or established aliens over new designs, I'd love to see more of those we have come to know, peppered in with the new stuff. I wouldn't want them to stop introducing new designs, but it's also nice to see variations on familiar faces as well. Seeing that Rodian show up in Enfys's crew was cool.
Recent Finds/Acquisitions: Vintage/SOTDS

Pulse shipped my TFF order of 4 figures in 3 diffe[…]

Yakfinities #73 - The Unknown Regions

I'll take the purple and gold one (can't remember […]

I ordered 2 walkers... Got 1 walker, 1 speeder. […]

I'm so glad someone agrees with me. I definitely […]

Star Wars Dioramas

Cool! I miss seeing dioramas like this one. Th[…]

Great work. In our little corner it's always a tre[…]

It’s a real shame when it’s funner to visit dollar[…]

Where does the hobby go from here?

Was it the 6” trash compactor scene? I don’t rec[…]